Facebook       Google+ Instagram Pinterest Twitter

Pages

Friday, July 11, 2014

Getting started...

This crazy BBQ thing is really starting to take off for me.  Last weekend I competed in my first BBQ competition and had a blast doing it. I took home the Reserve Grand Champion after finishing 2nd place in three categories. I had so much fun competing and hanging out with the other teams. I officially have the BBQ BUG now.

After a phone conversation with an old friend yesterday, I will also officially be judging in a Rib competition Saturday near Ankeny, IA. I see this as a great opportunity to continue learning and growing my barbecue palate. Getting the opportunity to eat some great ribs and drink free beer isn't a bad perk either...

More posts and updates to come including a recap from my first BBQ competition and judging event. For now I leave you with my new team logo designed by my sister-in-law, Amy Williams. Check out Amy's work at http://amywilliams-design.blogspot.com/


That's right, my new team name is "Bugeater BBQ, Co." The name pays homage to my other passion, Nebraska Cornhusker Football.

For those who don't know, before 1900, Nebraska football teams were known by such names as the Old Gold Knights, Antelopes, Rattlesnake Boys and the Bugeaters. In its first two seasons (1890-91), Nebraska competed as the Old Gold Knights, but beginning in 1892, Nebraska adopted Scarlet and Cream as its colors and accepted the Bugeaters as its most popular nickname until the turn of the century. Named after the insect-devouring bull bats that hovered over the plains, the Bugeaters also found their prey in the Midwest, enjoying winning campaigns in every year of the 1890s until a disappointing season in 1899.

No comments: